There are different types of leaves that a company affords for its employees. Some of these leaves are globally accepted and others are there in practice, but with a different name. One such leave is Bereavement leave. What is this leave for and what are the good and bad sides of the leave are to be understood. Along with that, the risk of this leave and legal areas are also to be talked about. This article will narrate all those things, giving you a clear idea about the California Bereavement Leave.
California Bereavement Leave 2017
California Bereavement leave is directed towards the leave, which is meant for attending the funerals. This is a leave that is afforded by some of the companies, whereas the other companies do not keep this type of leave separately. They club that with other leaves. General paid leaves, casual leaves, and sick leaves often cover these type of leave for an employee in many companies. On the other hand, in some jobs, especially the part-time jobs, people even lose their job while they go for such type of leaves.
How Bereavement leave effects Employee’s Job in California
In companies with no such leave system, it has been often seen that people lose their job while going for bereavement. For that reason, the government of California once tried to enforce this as a law. By doing that, the government tried to ensure that none of the employees are thrown out of their job while taking this type of leave. The urge of the government was not to ensure payment for the leave period but to make it certain that they retain their job.
Benefits of Bereavement Leave
Here is some of the top advantage in this type of leaves:
- The job of the employee remains ensured while taking this official leave.
- An employee can attend the funerals of different relatives. Some of the companies do allow its employees to go for leave for some distant relatives and friends.
- The leave, since not legally accepted, can be treated as an unpaid leave too. This is helpful for all the employees, both for maintaining their work pressure and for maintaining their personal relation.
Disadvantages of the Bereavement Leave
Some disadvantages of the leave
- Employees in companies where the leave is not there imposed by the HR rules can even face different issues. This can elongate till termination too. An employee, in such company, will be applying for other modes of leaves to attend the funerals. This will be a false commitment to the company and hence can be terminated from the job too.
- Some of the companies do allow California Bereavement Leave for the close family members and not for the friends. Employees do take some advantage with these type of leaves too. At that time, a job of the employee remains at stake.
Legal Acceptance of the Bereavement Leave in California
After growing through the advantages and disadvantages, the question that comes is about the legal support for the leaves. California government tried to enact this leave legally, but ultimately, their efforts did not mature. Without the legal notice, the risk of losing job always remains among the employees. However, the good news is also there. Most of the HR teams are supporting this type of leave in their enterprise. However, till date, this is confined to the large corporate firms only. Need is there to downsize the left style to the smaller firms too. One of the top factors that are attached with the type of leave is job security of the employees. The assurance that their job is not going to be discontinued for such mere reasons is what a legal declaration can support.
-> You May Like to Check California Disability Leave 2017
Leaves that are allowed to the employees are not often categorized. Now, it is becoming urgent to categorize the leaves. If there is a proper categorization, the HR rules will become more systematic and globally patterned. Retention of employees and betterment of the working environment are supported by this rules. Making a law enacting bereavement leave can be a big step towards that. So, it is better to welcome the new steps.